Thursday 27 December 2012

I DIDN’T KNOW I WAS THIS FAMOUS!

I DIDN’T KNOW I WAS THIS FAMOUS!

Small screen heartthrob Barun Sobti clears the air about his temporary break from TV, shares his Bollywood dreams and explains why his fans mean the world to him


    His decision to ‘move on’ from television (and the show Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon?) led to such an uproar by his fans that it led to the closure of the show. Something like this had never happened in the history of Indian television. Barun Sobti, easily among the most talked about small-screen stars of 2012, confesses that he still can’t believe he’s a “superstar” and is slowly coming to terms with the “fan frenzy.” The actor seems to be in a happy space post a well-deserved break in the UK followed by some quality time with family in Delhi. Excerpts from an interview:
Your show Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam
Doon? was in news ever since
reports trickled in about your
quitting and talks of a new actor
replacing you surfaced. And then, the show went off air abruptly. What was going on in your mind at that point?
I was not in India when the entire controversy happened, so it didn’t affect me too much in the beginning. But, I was really startled with the way things suddenly went against me and a certain section of people started blaming me for being instrumental in shutting down the show. I was hurt, of course. I didn’t like being accused of something I didn’t do and at one point, everything I was saying was getting misrepresented. That’s when I decided to be positive, stay calm and remain quiet. I think it is important not to scream from the rooftops to make yourself heard. I want my work to do the talking for me. I believe that being honest to oneself and one’s work is all that matters.
Did you know that you had such a

huge fan following? Or that the fans would collectively pressurise the channel to end the show if you were not part of it? I seriously can’t believe even now that I have so many fans who love me so much! At the end of the day, I am just an ordinary guy who goes to work and does a slightly more glamourous job than others. I am really very simple in real life. I’m very grateful to all those fans who love me. You know, I find it so weird when the media calls me small-screen superstar. I don’t think I’m one! My fans love me because I’m one of them. It feels strange — even now, I don’t know how to react when a fan gushes over me!
Many of your fans had threatened to commit suicide if you were to be replaced in your last show. Did you know that? I heard about that and was shocked. When I got to know that audiences were thinking of hurting themselves for me and the show, it hurt me a lot. I’m thankful to my audience for admiring my work and I want them to continue to support me, but I don’t want them to hurt themselves. I never expected to be this famous, but I can’t deny that my fame makes me happy. For any actor, it is a wonderful phase to be in. I hope my fans continue to love me in the future, too.
How does your wife Pashmeen react to this tremendous fan frenzy? She understands how the profession is, so, she is cool. Sometimes, she doesn’t react, but there are times when she is also startled. I guess we are yet to come to terms with the kind of fan following I seem to have.
And TV? Are you going to return to it any time soon?

For the time being, I’ve no TV shows on hand. I would love to do some interesting reality shows, but that doesn’t mean I won’t do a daily soap. I’ll do a soap when there’s a good offer. The only downside of working for a daily soap is that you have to put in very long work hours. That physically stresses you out, leaving you with no time for yourself or your family. I think industry veterans should come up with a solution to this. If the work hours are reduced, every actor/crew member will benefit.
What lies ahead? I’ve recently signed a movie based on cricket, which is going to be directed by former sports journalist Mitali Ghoshal. I was very impressed with the script. Professionally, I am in a good phase. I’m looking forward to working at a relaxed pace, enjoying what I do and hoping better things shape up for me.
Are you enjoying this break? Well, I don’t know (laughs after a pause). I don’t know bolne ki itni aadat lag gayi hai mujhe. Actually, it feels great! I’ve worked continuously for a year without a break — this one was much needed. I had a great time in the UK. We (he and his wife) travelled a lot, ate some great food and had fun. I also spent time with my family in Delhi. Now, I feel lighter, better and happier. I am raring to do some good work.

No comments:

Post a Comment